Hello There!

Hello there and welcome to my blog that I will be keeping as an online theoretical sketchbook throughout my autumn/winter art project. Throughout this project I will be building knowledge and practice of portrait photography.

Saturday 11 December 2010

Different ways with Typography.

During my research and practice of different ways of working with text portraits I discovered some work by an artist called Eugene Lvovsky. His collection of work falls under the name 'Type Is...', which is made out of a series of portraits of a woman. From his website I gathered he hand crafted the pieces by carefully arranging letters to form the face in the portrait.

Lvovsky, E. 2010. Type is Beautiful. One colour scheme of Three. 
 Type Is... A series created entirely out of your favourite typefaces, where every single letter placement is perfected by hand, creating a visually intriguing relationship between each character with respect to its unique shape. The flow of every piece is meant to challenge the viewer's eye – encouraging it to travel around the image, thus endlessly discovering it piece by piece. Each nook and crevice will help you find new appreciation for form and the beauty of the typographic character.


The above text is past from his website, http://www.eugenelvovsky.com/typeis/index.html. It's interesting to see this type of text portrait because it looks more aesthetically pleasing than the first process of text portrait I've worked with. There is more use of colour and thought into text placement, the artist has control over the font style of each character. Lvovsky mentions that his portfolio of work includes web design and graphic design, and as I'm currently studying web design I have begin to recognise the importance of Typography in web design. I think it makes sense that graphic designers approach text portraits with a heavy aesthetic content in mind. It provides a big contrast when compared with Ralph Ueltzhoeffer's work, which has heavy contextual content. I have always found this battle of aesthetic and contextual value in art work intriguing, which should you appreciate more?



No comments:

Post a Comment